Monday 7 June 2010

An English Country Garden




















Back when it looked like we were gonna have a summer - well, last week - my Ma asked me if I fancied going for a pic-nic in Burnby Hall Gardens. My first thought was HELL no, as the name itself conjures up images of pompous Manors and keen gardeners enthusing about plants, and also I am not an old woman (yet). But then I had a change of heart, as:

a) I took pity on mum, as her partner in crime, a.k.a my dad, was in Brazil, 
b) I was similarly orphaned, with my best buddies in far flung locations including Edinburgh, New York and Cornwall, 
c) sunshine and eating are two of my favourite activities, and
d) frankly, I had nothing better to do.

So off we set, armed with a pic-nic including apple juice, raspberries and those all-important sandwiches. To my surprise it was actually really quite lovely, with a massive lake full of ducks, water lilies and the most horrifically giant carps you've ever seen. By some bizarre stroke of luck, the abundance of little kids running around were dressed properly (like Victorian children) instead of the usual scamp's uniform of skinny jeans and baby Converse. That's what I like to see! All in all, the perfect mixture of scenery, serenity and sheer terror, therefore ideal for a pic-nic. Without further ado, here are a few snaps from the occasion...









































































Strike a pose, there's nothing to it.































































Last but not least, whilst we were enjoying our post-picnic ginger ice cream, I spied this adorable pair who sat there the entire duration of our visit. You can't tell, but the lady was knitting and mister flat-cap there was reading the day's news, like the perfect clichéd old couple. But to spice it up a bit, he had full sleeves of nautical tattoos! What a guy.




No comments:

Post a Comment