Sunday 25 July 2010

Gigantic.
















Aww Zooey Deschanel, I feel terrible saying this, but Gigantic wasn't great. Not that it's awful, it does have its merits, so I'll kindly say mediocre (ouch). The general premise of the film is that 28 year old mattress salesman Brian (played by Paul Dano) desperately wants to fulfill his lifelong dream of adopting a Chinese baby. Well, who wouldn't. 

But it all goes tits-up when he meets and falls in love with a beautiful, somewhat spoilt young lady named Happy (Deschanel). Oh yeah, and there's a subplot where a homeless man stalks and attacks Brian! I thought Gigantic sounded like my cup of tea, and when we put the DVD in, my ears were filled with the wonderful sounds of Animal Collective, and I turned to my sister with an expression not unlike this on my face:













Very promising start, I thought! But alas, the soundtrack was one of the most redeeming features of this film. It is an intriguing storyline, admittedly, but the director seems to be trying to hard to make it quirky and different. In fact, I couldn't help but think of this article and chuckle to myself. Still, it ain't too bad, and is worth a watch if you're at a loss for something to do. But for now, please enjoy this beauuuuutiful little number!



No comments:

Post a Comment