Sunday 19 December 2010

Between Love & Hate

























As of lately, I am a very confused young lady. Fear not, I'm not going through some quarterly-life crisis, but I have become sort of musical schizophrenic. You see, there's several songs that I've recently heard, kind of hated, but then felt the strange compulsion to download them and listen to them lots anyway. So actually, make that a musical masochist. I blame this sudden bout of crazy on my recent discovery of this little gem of a website. Since it is far too good to be true, I have been frantically  downloading all the songs I may ever want to listen to in my life, before it is inevitably shut down. If you haven't already, get on it - it will improve your life, or at the very least your iTunes. Anyhoo, here are the songs that make me feel unclean after listening to, and, in a perverse kind of way, enjoying them. 

Sleigh Bells - Tell 'Em


My first thoughts were my god, this is fucking awful. The obnoxious opening sounds like a terrible cross between a 90's video game and the kind of 'Hair Metal' my dad likes. And yet I cannot turn it off.

Everything Everything - Photoshop Handsome



Hmm. It's definitely infectious - but is it in a good way like laughter, or bad in the same way Swine flu was? It's a toughie. Part of me thinks it's maybe actually quite good, but then the other part thinks it sounds like it could be by The Automatic? I just don't know any more.

M.I.A. - XXXO



I do love a bit of M.I.A. If the last 5 years of my life were to have a soundtrack, I would reckon that her first two albums would feature heavily. However, her latest offering... not a fan. This song however I strangely quite like, even though it's a wee bit terrible. The lyrics are littered with technology references ('You're tweeting me like tweety bird on your iPhone') that make me die a little bit inside. And please observe the video - she's just chilling out with some swans and glittery tigers, accompanied by some truly hideous MySpace-y graphics. How about that.

However! To my immense relief, there is at least one song I was instantly smitten with. Love at first hearing, you could say. I love everything about it - the jangly little Superbad-esque tune, the lyrics, his outfit (chinos and Hawaiian shirt? Oh yes.) I'm certain about this one, and I'm ready to commit to full-on adoration a song. Thank god for this beauty....



No comments:

Post a Comment